Sunday 21 April 2024

21 APRIL – THIRD SUNDAY AFTER EASTER

Epistle – 1 Peter ii. 1119
Dearly beloved, I beseech you, as strangers and pilgrims, to refrain yourselves from carnal desires which war against the soul, having your conversation, good among the Gentiles: that whereas they speak against you as evil doers, they may by the good works which they will behold in you glorify God in the day of visitation. Be subject, therefore, to every human creature for Gods sake, whether it be to the king as excelling: or to the governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of the good: for so is the will of God, that by well-doing you may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men; as free, and not as making liberty a cloak for malice, but as the servants of God. Honour all men: love the brotherhood: fear God: honour the king. Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear, not only to the good and gentle, but also to the forward. For this is thanksworthy, in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Thanks be to God. 

Gospel – John x. 1622
At that time Jesus said to His disciples: “A little while, and you will not see me: and again a little while, and you will see me: because I go to the Father.” Then some of his disciples said to one another, “What is this that He says to us, A little while, and you will not see me: and again a little while, and you will see me, because I go to the Father?” They said therefore, “What is this that He says to us, A little while? We know not what He speaks.” Now Jesus knew that they had a mind to ask Him, and He said to them, “Of this you enquire among yourselves because I said, A little while, and you will not see me: and again a little while, and you will see me? Amen, amen, I say to you that you will weep and lament, but the world will rejoice: and you will be made sorrowful, but your sorrow will be turned into joy. A woman, when she is in labour, has sorrow because her hour has come: but when she has brought forth the child, she remembers no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world. So you also will have sorrow, but I will see you again, and your heart will rejoice; and your joy no man will take from you.”
Praise be to you, O Christ.